Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Start and Stop Toddler Story Time

This week we are learning about stopping and going, starting and ending, action and inaction. This is partly because we are starting our Fall toddler story time series back up this week and I am a sentimentalist, but mostly because of Jim Gill's Truck Stop.

Opening Songs:  
  Bread and butter
Marmalade and Jam
Let's say hello as quiet as we can
(whisper: hello)

...loud as we can
...slow as we can
...fast as we can
...high as we can
...low as we can
...nice as we can


Hello and Goodbye Song Using Sign Language
Hello, friends. (x3)
It's time to say hello.

Goodbye, friends (x3)
It's time to say goodbye.

The tune is super catchy, and the sign for friends is just too adorable for words. I am either going to tack both of these onto my opening routine, or just see which one sticks. For now, I am totally embracing the crazy-long-opening-medley.

Open Them Shut Them

My version of Open Them Shut Them is a little different than Sara's. I found it on one of our favorite YouTube channels, Intellidancing and love the way it teaches kids about the parts of their bodies, and opposites like up & down and big & little!

Introduction: Since it is the first story time of the season, I prepared a little introduction for the parents, so they know what to expect (and, um, where the bathroom is...). Also, a big goal for both of us this season is getting the parents to actively participate, so in addition to finding ways to re-arrange the room to encourage parents to sit with the kids, we are also going to communicate (over and over and over) the value of their active engagement with their child. This is also where we learn about the weekly theme, and about any upcoming library programs for little ones.

Before-our-first-book-Rhyme:
These Are My Glasses
These are my glasses, this is my book.
I put on my glasses, and open up my book.
Then I read read read, and I look look look.
Then I take off my glasses, and whoop! close up my book!

Book #1: Red Light Green Light, by Anastasia Suen

This book was so fun, and was so obviously a winner because it had busses. AND trucks. AND helicopters. Whaaaaat.










Consistent movement activity: DICE PLAY! (pictures forthcoming)
We found these instructions for making our own super fun "Get Up & Move Dice" on the blog Growing a Jeweled Rose, and I am just so excited to start using them in story time! We made two- one with an action word on each side, the other has animals. They are interactive, silly, promote literacy, AND they ask young toddlers to do something they excel at: throwing things!

Rhyme: I'm an Airplane (from Jbrary)

I'm an airplane (repeat)
Flying high (repeat)
I can tilt this way (repeat)
In the sky (repeat)

I'm an airplane (repeat)
Flying high (repeat)
I can tilt that way (repeat)
In the sky (repeat)

I'm an airplane (repeat)
Flying high (repeat)
I can make a landing (repeat)


Book #2: Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes, by Eric Litwin


We also have a story stick of this, with interchangeable shoes. We love Pete the Cat here (and well, everywhere, because duh), so this is a perfect (fun) way to reinforce the lessons of stopping and starting with the toddlers.







Dance Party/ Music Time: Jim Gill's Truck Stop (from Music Play for Folks of all Stripes)

Three cheers for interpretive dance, parental participation, and all-around silly fun!



Book #3 (if time): Time to Say Bye-Bye, by Maryann Cocca-Leffler

GUYS, this book is so perfect for toddlers and the difficult lesson they must learn of leaving fun things behind. Also, it is a super fun read-aloud, toddlers and parents were waving bye-bye along with the kid in the book. It was adorable.











Closing Rhyme: Bread and Butter

Welcome and Goodbye Song: Bread and Butter
Marmalade and Jam
Let's say goodbye as quiet as we can
(whisper: goodbye)

...loud as we can
...slow as we can
...fast as we can
...high as we can
...low as we can
...nice as we can

Happy storytiming, friends!

--Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment