Saturday, February 8, 2014

Hair Preschool Story Time

I got a hair cut this weekend, which was a total coincidence, 'cause I was planning on doing a hair themed story time for preschoolers on 2/6/2014 anyway! 

Opening Song:  Open Them Shut Them (Click here for the link to my version!)

Opening Activity: Spell "HAIR" in felt letters on the flannel board!  I think the preschoolers in my story time are getting better and better at sounding out words using the sounds of the letters.  It's really exciting to watch them grow and learn. I also did a fun activity where I showed them laminated pictures of kids with different hairstyles, and taught them the word for each hair style!  We did pigtails, braids, bouffant/beehive (that one was fun, none of them knew what that was), beard, and mustache.  Can't leave out the facial hair!


            

Opening Nursery Rhyme: Hickory Dickory Dock

  Book #1: Mustache Baby by Bridget Heos

 Is it a good guy mustache, or a bad guy mustache?!  What's the difference between them?  I had the kids do a lot of predicting with this book -- I asked questions like, "What kind of good guy do you think he'll be next?"  This book is hilarious, and has both Axe Cop and Settlers of Catan references in it, so I approve.







  Sign Language Song: Come Under My Umbrella

I love teaching preschoolers sign language!  This was a really cute one -- I taught them all the signs, and then we sang the song a few times through so we could do the signs and the song together.  I think I'll use this one again, it worked really well.  Thaaank you Jbrary!




Book #2: Big Bouffant by Kate Hosford

This book was even more successful than I thought it would be.  There were full on giggles -- everyone loved watching the main character recreate her grandmother's spectacular hair.








Action Rhyme: Bananas Unite

Nothing to do with hair, but every once in awhile we just need a silly song to get the wiggles out.  This one is one of my faaavorites. 


Book #3: Ella Kazoo Will NOT Brush Her Hair by Lee Fox

Lots of good vocabulary in this book -- pretty much every word you can imagine that means hair is represented. I love when kids notice when a book rhymes -- at one point a kid had that realization and said, "Hey, this book RHYMES!" 







Closing Rhyme: Tickle the Clouds

Tickle the clouds
Tickle your toes
Turn around
Tickle your nose!
Reach for the ground
Reach up high!
Story time is over,
Wave goodbye!

I got this rhyme from this awesome Jbrary video: Jbrary Goodbye Songs

--Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment