Thursday, October 16, 2014

Jungle Preschool Story Time

No fancy explanation for this one -- I dunno, I was just in the mood for being in the jungle.  Also, there are approximately one billion amazing pictures books that have something to do with the jungle.  This was NOT a relaxing story time -- we were up and moving and participating almost the ENTIRE time!  I thought it was fun.  Also sweaty.

Entrance Activity: I created the tree I spoke about in the last entry (link here, in case you're curious), and hung it up near the story time area!  As new kids came in, I asked them if they had created a name leaf for the tree yet, and if they hadn't I let them do so.  It's cute!  I need to take a photo -- will try to do so soon.

Opening Song:  Open Them Shut Them (Click here for the link to my version!)

Opening Activity: Spell the word "JUNGLE" on the flannel board in felt letters.  I then pulled eight different laminated animals out of my magical story time box (after I was done spelling the theme for the day), and had the kids sort the animals into "jungle" and "non-jungle" animals.  The animals I used were: squirrel monkey, parrot, green tree snake, and tiger (jungle), and orca whale, kitten, chicken, and cow (obviously non-jungle).  I think we had some jungle experts in the crowd.

Opening Nursery Rhyme: Oh man, for the first time ever, I TOTALLY forgot to include an opening nursery rhyme!  Brain fart!!  We skipped over this and jumped directly into books.  Whoops.  I probably would have done Humpty Dumpty if I hadn't forgotten.

  Book #1: Oh, No! by Candace Fleming


Somehow, I had never done this one in story time before!  I taught the kids how to "read" the title, and told them that every time I pointed to the phrase "Oh, No!" I wanted them to say it with me.  Worked like a charm -- by the end, everyone was wailing, "OH, NO!" every time I pointed at the corresponding words on the page.  Fantastic story time book, will totally use again.



Action Song/Finger Play: There Was a Crocodile

There was a crocodile
And an orangutan
A flying eagle
And a silvery fish
A bunny
A beaver
A CRAZY elephant
Na na na na na na, na na na na na na

I <3 this song -- thank you Intellidance!  It is awesome for building short term memory skills, and also you get to be a crazy elephant.  I love doing stuff with audiation with preschoolers -- it's pretty difficult for them, so it's nice to give them something that's a little bit of a challenge.

Book #2: Warning: Do Not Open This Book! by Adam Lehrhaupt

This might be one of my favorite new-ish interactive books.  I love reading books that have interactivity built in.  On every page, this book warns you that you probably shouldn't turn the page.  I pretended to obey the author ("Well, ok, I guess I shouldn't turn the page...it seems kinda dangerous..."), and the kids all waited "NO, TURN THE PAGE, PLEEEASE!"  I also had the kids create pretend books with their hands at the end, and snap them close as instructed by the author.  






Movement Activity: Bananas Unite!

What better way than to end a book involving a banana (read above book if you're curious about the banana) than to turn all the children into bananas!  This is one of my favorite in-between book wiggle activities, for obvious reasons. I use it aaalll the time.



Bananas unite!
Peel banana, peel peel banana
Chop banana, chop chop banana
Eat banana, eat eat banana
GO bananas, go go bananas! Go bananas go go bananas!
Bananas unite!

Book #3: It's a Tiger! by David LaRochelle


I use this book way too much, probably, but I can't get enough of it.  This book is why I was sweaty after story time.  We do not simply read this book -- we act it out.  We have to run away from the tiger and climb up the ladder and tiptoe past the snakes and...etc.  I have yet to find a better book for acting out with preschoolers.







Closing Rhyme: Tickle the Clouds 

Tickle the clouds
Tickle your toes
Turn around
Tickle your nose!
Reach for the ground
Reach up high!
Story time is over,
Wave goodbye!

I got this rhyme from this awesome Jbrary video: Jbrary Goodbye Songs

Exit Activity: At the very end of story time, as the kids were checking out books, I gave every kid a sticker to put on their name-leaf  on the tree.  The goal of this is that kids will be able to recognize their name written down, and associate it with themselves!  They did a great job -- the name tree is thoroughly stickered.  My plan is to do this at the end of every story time this season, so they'll get a sticker on their leaf for every story time they attend.

--Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment