Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Toddler Storytime Planning Series #1: Themeless Template Plan

Hi friends!


All of the apologies, so many, for the long break. We've had technical difficulties, but are now back up and runnin! I did the alphabet last year with the toddlers here, framing each week around a different letter of the alphabet. I only posted through the letter C here, though- one of these days I will make a massive post listing out the rhymes, books, and vocabulary words for each letter because WOW that was a lot of work comin up with toddler-level themes for every letter of the alphabet. I commend any brave soul embarking on the alphabet journey.

I think it was all that work that pushed me over the edge into themeless storytimes. Guys, it is so much easier! You don't need themes! Toddlers just want the same thing over and over again! Repetition is good! If you find a cute new book or rhyme, you don't have to wait until you find the right theme to fit it into because they really don't care. This has been life changing for me.My plan is pretty much the same every week. It goes as follows:


Opening rhyme 1: When ___ get up in the morning,
I'm not even sure where I originally got this, but it is a fun, low-key easy song to do while everyone arrives. Gather a bunch of animal puppets (or even pictures) into a basket, pull one out, ask them what it is and what sound it makes, and then sing:

When _(animal)_ get up in the morning, they always say good day
When _(animal)_ get up in the morning, they always say good day
_(animal sound)_, _(animal sound)_, _(animal sound)_, that is what they say.
_(animal sound)_, _(animal sound)_, _(animal sound)_, that is what they say.

Magic box refrain: Here is a box, and here is a lid; I wonder whatever inside is hid? This helps tons with transitions, because as soon as I grab the Magic Box and knock on it, everybody wants to know what is inside. Pretty sure it works because *magic*. I put pictures of characters from whatever book we are reading, or vocabulary words, or whatever felt pieces and small props I plan on using next. 

Introduction:
-This is where I introduce myself and orient new parents with important things like where the bathrooms are located and what time the rest of the library opens at. I also like to remind them that what we do in storytime helps build skills that kids will later use to learn to read, and they can help their kid get the most out of it just by joining in and getting a little silly!

Opening rhyme 2: Open & Shut Them

Magic Box X Book #1:
Early Literacy Concept: I try and find at least one early literacy tip for each book I read. My fab Fairy Twin Sara was one of the librarians trained and observed in the VIEWS2 Research Project, and in turn she has shared many great tips and tools and general enthusiasm with us.
Modeling behavior/ Prompts: I then make a note of how to demonstrate it in storytime and a talking point for the adults explaining the magic behind whatever it was I just did.

Stretching: "Stretch to the windows, stretch to the door, Stretch to the ceiling, and stretch to the floor!" I originally found this on KCLS Tell Me A Story, and have used it every week since. It is a nice, mindless, no memorization necessary rhyme to repeat and repeat and repeat.

 STANDING Movement: I'll make a post about my favorite standing rhymes, but ya can't go wrong with "Grand Old Duke of York" or "Way Up High in the Apple Tree". 

ACTION DICE! I swear by these things. I originally got the idea from the blog Growing a Jeweled Rose, and use ours every week. They are interactive, silly, promote literacy, AND kids get to throw them. 



ZOOM ZOOM! I think there would be a riot if I ever skipped this. It is bad enough when I try and take the group to the sun when we haven't yet gone to the stars. Thanks, Jbrary!
Quieting Rhyme: Usually "Here's a Cup", because toddlers love repetition and also love pretending to pour and share cups of tea. I have a few more fall-back chill-out rhymes that I promise to post about too, though!

Magic Box Y Book #2:  
Early Literacy tip:
Modeling behavior/ Prompts:

Magic Box FLANNEL game or rhyme: Usually a short nursery rhyme or song followed by Little Mouse-- there are a million blog posts on the Little Mouse flannel game, but I'll post my own in coming weeks. Again, this is another activity that the toddlers would freak out if I skipped. 

I close out with a song/rhyme medley for one of the following: 
STRETCHY BAND 
SHAKY EGGS
SCARVES
BUBBLES
OR DANCE PARTY
Blog posts on each coming soon!
            
Closing song: Up, Down, Turn Around
Up, Down, Turn Around
Touch the sky and touch the ground
Jiggle belly, blink your eyes,
Blow a kiss, and say goodbye!

Then I invite them all to come up and get a stamp if they want one. I have been considering changing up the stamp, but they are CRAZY for this mouse stamp we have. It is pretty cute, and I swear some of them come to storytime each week for the mouse stamp alone. They love that guy.

Aaaaand... that's it! All in all, each toddler storytime here is about 30 minutes, with unstructured time for families to socialize, play with blocks, and read together after. Let me know if you have any questions, and again, apologies for the longwinded post and even longer time without posts! Happy storytiming! ~Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment