Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Wish Preschool Storytime

I have to admit that I was entirely inspired to do a storytime for preschoolers with a "wish" theme when I discovered that one of my favorite grown-up writers of all time, Shirley Jackson, had a picture book for kids.  From there, the theme of wishes was born!

Opening Song: Open Them Shut Them (click on the link for a video of how I do it).  I think the extra verse of is going to become a new storytime staple for me! I swiped it from Jbrary's Extra Verse video (see below)



Opening Rhyme: Come Under My Umbrella (with sign language)





Opening Discussion: Before we started reading books, I pulled felt letters (spelling WISH) out of my magical Dr. Seuss pencil box.  We also learned the ASL for "wish", which is fascinatingly the same as the ASL word for "hungry".  We talked about why that might be :)

Book One: 9 Magic Wishes by Shirley Jackson, illustrated by Miles Hyman


Image result for 9 magic wishes shirley jackson book coverAs I said before, this whole storytime transpired because of this book.  I LOVE Shirley Jackson, and I would have thought a picture book by her would have been too complex or long for storytime, but this was really perfect.  I had kids shout out the number of the wish, and then before I read the words on the page, they had to guess what the wish was by looking at the pictures.  At the end, we had a conversation about what they would wish for if they found the ninth wish!  It was kinda storytime perfect.  Recommended for sure.


Action Rhyme: I Wish I Were a Leaf


Borrowed this one from my former colleague, Megann!  I love it :)

Book Two: Templeton Gets His Wish by Greg Pizzoli

Image result for templeton gets his wishThis was another great conversation starter.  I had the kids help me "read" the word wish every time it appeared (I would point at the word on the page and have them read it with me).  We also talked about whether it would be good or bad to have your family disappear.  A little girl talked for awhile about how scary it would be, and expounded upon a scary experience she had when her babysitter let her watch a scary movie.  I love it when books help kids remember and relate their real-world experiences and emotions and feelings!  




Action Rhyme: Zoom Zoom Zoom, We're Going to the Moon

I'm not 100% sure why I felt like this fit the theme, but kids loved it so I shouldn't question my choices :-D  We did Jbrary's Extra Verses version!


Book Three: Make a Wish Bear by Greg Foley


Image result for make a wish bearPossibly a little simple for preschool storytime, but I'm glad I ended with a short book.  We acted out all the things the animals told bear to do to make sure the wish came true!  











Closing Rhyme: Tickle the Clouds

Tickle the clouds
Tickle your toes
Turn around
Tickle your nose!
Reach for the ground
Reach up high!
Story time is over,
Wave goodbye!

I got this rhyme from this awesome Jbrary video: Jbrary Goodbye Songs

--Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment